They prop me back in a heated chair, tie my arms down with some sort of athletic tape, and begin to pull out the needles. Now, first of all I'm not one for needles. I hate them actually. I'm one of those people that cringe at the sight of them, but politely look away and suffer with dignity. The needle looks (in my over-exaggerated mind) somewhat of a chopstick. In goes the first needle in the left arm...OUCH...okay, pain is going away. Before I know it there's another technician on my right arm poking me with another chopstick. HOLY COW! Okay, how much longer? An hour and a half? Okay, breathe...it doesn't hurt, its all in your head.
I'm then distracted my Matthew McConaughey. No, he's not at the Red Cross in Burlington (I wish)...he's on the television that is conveniently placed to distract you from your donation (well, in most people's cases to pass the time). Before I know it my donation is done and I'm being unstrapped from the "torture chamber" okay, just kidding it wasn't THAT bad. I was only on the machine for about an hour! I can chock that up to good genes. Yep, platelets are genetic and I can thank my mother and father for giving me a platelet count higher than "they've see in a long time." 366,000 to be exact (which is pretty darn good- range is from 150,00-450,000).
Kevin took it like a champ. Every time I looked across the room he was calmly watching a movie in his lap on a portable DVD player. Here I am watching the clock, checking it every 5 minutes, and there he is looking like he's on the couch serenely reading a book. Kevin was on the machine a little longer than I, but that is because he was able to donate longer than me. Because of my proneness to fainting while donating, they decided to take it easy on me for my first time.
The result: we had a very pleasant experience doing our part and being good samaritans. Hopefully through example we can get others to donate in a much needed area. See you again in a month Red Cross!

No comments:
Post a Comment