After 3 years in Vermont the inevitable happened: we moved. On average most military families move every 6 months - 4 years. So what does that mean? You're never in a permanent place. You begin to accept when you move somewhere, it's only temporary and soon enough, a moving truck will be coming to sweep you away to a foreign state. Something was different about Vermont; it captured my heart. For 2 days in Virginia I kept referring to Vermont as "home" whenever I spoke of something I missed or regretted I didn't see; "I think that place was back home," I frequently kept saying. Vermont taught me to be more resourceful, to respect and revere nature, to have more compassion for others, to be friendlier, and to be adventurous. Vermont helped me crawl out of my shy-shell, to be a stronger woman, to appreciate the beauty in everything, and to understand the importance of being a good friend.
I was sad when I left Maine 3 years ago, but like I said, Vermont was different. Not just I, but Kevin as well, made friends that we'll forever be thankful for. We've been blessed to make friends with some of the most genuine, thoughtful, and caring people we've ever met. Friends that would do anything to lend a helping hand and to do any favor you might need assistance with...and we'd gladly repay the favor in return. Friends of ours shed tears in our nearing absence and we too were saddened by those we had to leave. We can only hope at some point we'll see these dear friends of ours again. All I can say is: thank goodness for the internet. Without it, keeping in touch would seem so daunting.
The drive to Virginia had some bumps in the road. Diesel costs more than I'd like to admit, and 15 hours in a truck would make anyones butt numb. I brought our two house-plants in a basket in the front seat and I kept getting stabbed by the cactus needles every time I would reach for something on the floor (probably not the best location or idea), the truck didn't have any air conditioning (which was awful in the southern heat), and the only truck stop that was open to weigh our truck was an hour out of the way. Having said all that, road trips are still fun! You get to see the different landscapes of the country, the different people (Dad you weren't joking about West Virginians), and most of all, you get to spend some quality time with your partner. Kevin and I are one of those rare couples that love road trips and have a ton of fun laughing, singing along to songs on the radio, and playing road games to keep us busy.
It took us from 2:00AM in Vermont until 6:00PM to reach Stafford. We were tired, hungry, and sweating from the long ride in the 98 degree weather (quite a difference from New England!). Within minutes a sweet woman approached me with her dog, and offered to help us move our boxes up to our apartment on the 3rd floor. She said "when we moved in we had all kinds of help, at least I could return the favor with someone else." She and I turned out to have TONS in common and I can't wait to get to know my new found friend. We ordered pizzas and passed out after a long day of driving, unpacking, and organizing. Our house is still in shambles, but every day it gets closer to looking "livable." Pathways are being cleared, things are finding their appropriate spaces, and I'm sure in a week or so the house will finally look like a home.
Until next time...
Our Penske rental truck
Getting ready to load up the truck!
Our apartment complex - Aventine Courthouse Square
Our first day as Virginians!

No comments:
Post a Comment