Saturday, October 26, 2013

31.

What can I say about Kevin that I haven't already...? To know this man, is to have one amazing person in your life. Like most men, he's simple. He doesn't ask for much; he's a man of few words, but when he does speak, its either hilarious or something that he's put a lot of thought into: he speaks with purpose. He's interested in things like the Tesla Hyperloop, aerospace engineering, Bitcoin mining, and building computers from scratch. He has subscriptions to magazines like "Popular Science," "Popular Mechanics," and "The Handyman." He's a brainy man, and although I'm sure in high school he was labeled a "nerd"... it's the exact reason why I love him. I love that I'm able to have hour-long conversations with him about the psychological theories I'm studying in school with as much interest as I have...and be able to talk to him about the newest scientific inventions as if it was the most amazing and mind-blowing thing we've ever heard. He whistles often for no reason, talks in various tones and makes ridiculous faces to make me laugh, and overall is simply a kindhearted person with a relaxing air about him. 

He's a simple man, but he has his complexities as well. 


He sees a recipe on the Barefoot Contessa that I'm watching (as he walks past the TV) and without hesitation says jokingly: "you're sooo making that for my birthday breakfast!" not expecting anything.

...and so, I did. 


He doesn't mind waiting for me to set up the tripod before we head out to dinner. "For the blog!" I say. 

"Okie-dokie!" he says patiently and waits in his designated spot while I set the timer and rush back to his side. His arm immediately wraps around my waist and smiles with the flash. 


He smiles at me every time we drive across the bridge into Pensacola Beach and gush over how beautiful the sunset is for the umpteenth time...

He's a simple man...but whatever excites me, excites him. 




As we pull up to the restaurant and I stare at a palm tree in the same amazement that I did the sunset, he again patiently waits by my side. Embarrassed that I'm taking too many pictures, I look back at him and he still has that same smile on his face...

"Take as many pictures as you want honey...our reservation isn't for another 15 minutes. We have all the time you need."


He's a simple man, but he finds joy in the most casual activities around the house. 

He takes his dinner clothes off and dons his "house-gear" complete with L.L. Bean fuzzy slippers.



He's a simple man. He doesn't ask for much. 

A case of pumpkin beer from his favorite New England brewing company does the trick. 


He enjoys teaching. Regardless of the task. 

Seeing someone comprehend his instruction is satisfying to him...even if I ask 1,843,567 questions along the way. 


He roots for me even when I'm beating him...shamelessly.  


He's a simple man, yes, but men often are. They're uncomplicated, rarely emotional, say what they mean, and mean what they say. They stand their ground (even if they have to admit they were wrong later) and stick to their principles. He's a simple man, but he's one heck of a friend, husband, and partner, and makes this life we're sharing together easy and enjoyable every step of the way.

Happy birthday Kevin...you are so loved by us all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger