Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ponce de Leon Springs

For a while now, Kevin has been wanting to take me to the Ponce de Leon Springs, but for the past 2 months or so, its been raining every single day...no, I'm not kidding! Its been pretty depressing around here lately with all this rain; now I'm beginning to understand what it must feel like to live in Seattle! Well, we finally got a break from the rain and its been perfectly sunny for the past few days (and will be for the following week). We made an hour and a half drive east to Ponce de Leon, Florida to check out the fresh water springs.

I don't think I've ever seen such beautifully TEAL water in my life. The water was so clean and fresh as if it was right out of your tap.  Tiny schools of fish and a turtle swam alongside us, curious as to who we were. Most of the springs were shallow enough to stand in the sand with our heads above the water, but the deeper areas could have required SCUBA gear. We brought our goggles to investigate the wildlife; it was unbelievably awesome (for lack of a more descriptive word!). With spanish moss dangling from the trees above us, sand in our toes, and the southern heat beating down on our shoulders, it couldn't have been a more perfect way to spend a late-summer Friday morning with my love.



What does the "real Florida" mean??? ha ha!!



Looking at the limestone aquifers! 



Look at that color!!


Very beautiful stone walkways. 














Brought some nectarines for an after-swim snack.  


This gives you an idea of how clear the water is!


The fishies we swam with!



Such a beautiful day to go swimming!


Gorgeous coloring...but most likely a danger sign! Don't have to warn me twice!


Lizards and dragonflies everywhere...




I have a weird obsession with spanish moss.


On the way to Destin for lunch!



A smooch for Kevin!


Destin! Can you believe those colors in the water??



First time trying crab! I am a fan!


Of course a side of calamari with a salad...you have to "cheat" every once in a while! We're weirdos, we like the tentacles...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger