Friday, February 4, 2011

Ice Climbing

Bolton Quarry in Bolton, Vermont is the same location Kevin and I tried rock climbing for the first time during the summer. Now that winter is in full force, the only way you can rock climb outdoors is to ice climb. Watching Kevin and Tom ice climb was one of the most fascinating and exhilarating things to photograph, not to mention one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in nature (not to sound too hippy-Vermont is wearing off on me). We got to the quarry about an hour before sunset; the colors were magnificent, birds were chirping, and the sounds of water dripping off the icicles created the perfect backdrop for climbing.

Ice climbing takes an immense amount of strength, courage, and determination to get to the top and I commend the guys for having the guts to try something that seems, on the surface, to be quite terrifying. Photography is quickly becoming one of my many great loves and I was having the time of my life capturing such an exciting experience for both of them. I hope at some point (while the winter is still around) that I'll get the chance to try it myself.


Kevin's Avalanche and Tom's Jeep


Bolton Quarry

Kevin

Kevin putting on his crampons (spiky shoe attachments that help climbers dig into the wall of ice).

Your photographer for the day!

Stunning waterfall of ice

Perfect example of Vermont's beauty

Tom Climbing

Tom and Kevin

Kevin

Tom, Kevin and I

Kevin


Kevin Climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger