Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Kenmore Plantation

Sightseeing once a week has been providing me not only with an excuse to get out of the house now-and-again, but also the opportunity to get to know new friends. This week I wanted to see The Kenmore Plantation in Fredericksburg and instead of going by myself I invited 3 of my Marine-wife friends whose husbands are in the same company as Kevin. Although most of our husbands don't know each other (too many people), us wives were able to interact and introduce ourselves at the orientation a few months ago.

Miranda, Karie, Brianne, and I carpooled over, took the tour, and had a picnic on the lawn of the property. Being the history nerd that I am, I loved every minute of it...soaking in the information that was provided, while picturing what it must have been like 300 years ago in the very house I stood in. We finished our afternoon off by walking around in the nearby river to help cool down...if only for a minute.


Me, Miranda, Brianne and Karie.

The Kenmore Plantation

Property garden.










Family tree of over 300 members!


Our tour guide, Patty.

The "business" entrance on the side of the mansion for less-weathly persons.



Miranda, Brianne, and Karie on our tour.



Hand-carved portion of a mantle.

Miranda





Card table.

Beautiful authentic time-period wallpaper.





Miranda

Replica of the estate key (the only key to the mansion)







I suggested we should have a picnic on the lawn -the girls thought it was a great idea!

Detour on the way home...

Cooling off in the river.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger