Saturday, July 30, 2011

Luray Caverns

Luray Caverns in Luray, Virginia is one of THE coolest sightseeing ventures that I was looking forward to. A few weeks ago I went to one of the Virginia visitors centers...and lets just say I came home with a bag full of pamphlets of things to do. As I sprawled them out on the living room carpet (trying to decide where to start first), Luray Caverns caught my eye. It was certainly one of those things I wouldn't see without Kevin. We packed up the car, camera-in-tow, filled up the Prius, and headed 2 hours northeast to the mountains of Luray in the Shenandoah Valley. If I didn't know any better, the drive through the mountains looked like we were right back in Vermont - it was gorgeous!

After 4 hours (count that...4 hours!) of walking through the caverns we were exhausted and ready to head home. We stopped for some ice cream (because what else do you do in 101 degree heat?) and thankfully got home with just enough energy to watch a terrible movie on Netflix....no, seriously, it was absolutely awful but it made us laugh. Note to all of you: don't waste your time on "Skyline"!



At the first segment of stalactite and stalagmite formations.





















1 inch = 120 years.









Coins collected from the "wishing well," annually add up to over $900,000.

Formation titled: "fried eggs"















Ice cream shop out in the country.



Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger