Recently we found out from our friends that NAS Whiting Field has AMAZING recreational things for families to do on base for free! When we heard about the frisbee golf (aka "Disc Golf") we practically shot over there to check it out. Kevin and I haven't played frisbee golf since...I think 2007. It was one of the first things that Kevin and I did with his father, brother, and his friends. I was under the assumption that frisbee golf was a New England sport, but sure enough its in the south as well! He and I have a little bit of competition going on when it comes to playing sports together...but I usually remedy that with a little batting of the eyelashes and the occasional smooch in between tee pads. I figure a little distraction couldn't hurt my score...
We played the course 3 times through and wanted to go for another, but I'm the dumb-dumb that wore sandals out into the forest (hey, I'm still getting used to the vegetation here). I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, poked and prodded by the pine needles, so we decided after a few hours it was time to get going to the market.
Once we got home we both started on our leek and sweet potato soup. My new favorite cook book hails from the Barnes and Noble "bargain book" section. Sure, there's some awful books among those stacks, but sometimes you find a gem like this one:

This book divides the seasons by creating usable recipes to get the most out of seasonal and local produce. We just so happen to have an open-air market at the end of our street that ONLY sells Florida grown produce and since we've both never tried leeks, we figured we'd give this winter vegetable a shot.

Very tasty!
Today was so much fun! I can't wait to go back and see what other kinds of recreational things there is for us to do on base!


Har, har, har!

FOUR!

Those holes were ALL OVER the course! By the way, we know a gopher tortoise is a turtle, we were just being silly!


No comments:
Post a Comment